How to Comment

If you don't see a comment box at the bottom of the page, look at the "Blog Archive". It is so labeled, and is located directly under the long white box on the left side of the page. Under the words "Blog Archive" are listed all the individual posts by title, including the post you are currently reading. Click on the title of the post and it brings the post up with a comment box at the end.



Thursday, February 18, 2010

I got a gig!

Back when David was alive, I used to write nonsense verse for him all the time. He gave tons of parties on people's birthdays, or when they retired, or got married, or had a baby, etc. He used different gimmicks to work the poem into the party entertainment-for example, he'd have me write the poem to the tune of a well known song and everyone, or a group of people, would sing it. He also might use a theme, and have each teacher read a poem that expanded on the theme. Once,
when he they were taking a well-liked principal (David was a school teacher) out on a dinner cruise to celebrate his retirement, he had me write a musical episode of Gilligan's Island, with different teachers playing the various characters (Skipper, Mary Ann, etc.) If you think this is a good ides and would like to do something similar for a friend or relative, just email me at dialawriter@yahoo.com I'll give you some examples in the next few posts.
Anyway, the gig is that a guy in the church choir called. He says some church people have decided to have a "beatnik style" coffee house on March 7. He wants me to write some "beatnik style" poems to read while a guy plays bongo drums. Now, of course, I have absolutely no idea what a "beatnik style" poem is. If any of you know of a good site to go to to learn, I would appreciate it if you'd let me know! All I know is a poem that Maynard G. Krebs read in a beatnik coffeehouse on the Dobie Gillis Show way back in my childhood. It was:

"Little bird,

With your beak pressed up against the pet store window,

There is no birdseed for you today,

Only death!"


More later...


Here is a link to actual beatnik poetry

No comments:

Post a Comment