How to Comment

If you don't see a comment box at the bottom of the page, look at the "Blog Archive". It is so labeled, and is located directly under the long white box on the left side of the page. Under the words "Blog Archive" are listed all the individual posts by title, including the post you are currently reading. Click on the title of the post and it brings the post up with a comment box at the end.



Sunday, February 6, 2011

Computer smart

OMG - my computer monitor broke. It seems I am totally dependant on having a computer. I can't bank , I can't shop (which is probably a good thing since I can't bank or figure out my finances!), I can't request Metro Access access after 4:30 PM, I can't communicate with my friends, I can't play my favorite games, L can't play my music... Just imagine how quickly all this has happened. In '75, when I went to college, no one had a computer. Now college kids have never had to live without one.

NEXT DAY
The problem is solved now. Sue and Ron went shopping and bought me a new monitor and Ron connected it. Everything on it looks bright and new.

Back when I was in college (well, actually the summer before I went to college), I actually got a job that was supposed to involve writing programs for a great big main-frame computer. Ha, ha!) It happened because Dr. O'Brien, a UVa med school professor and the father of my friend Colleen, was interested in helping out a high school kid, so he decided to give such kid a job in his office. He'd done so in prior years with two girls who actually were computer and math whizzees, and it had workked out well.

Well, silly man, he asked Colleen if she knew anyone real smart who needed a job. Silly Colleen said. "Debbie Taylor".

I ain't that kinda smart.

The first day he handed me a book about how to write computer programs. It had something to do with sequences and binary numbers (whatever they may be). He told me to write a simple program that acted as an index to a bunch of programs.

I worked on it all day and had to ask lots of questions.

On the second day I began retyping Dr. O'Brien's address book, which was my my main job the rest of the summer.

Oh - and make his tea. I also made the perfect cup of tea.

For some reason, he never hired me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment