How to Comment

If you don't see a comment box at the bottom of the page, look at the "Blog Archive". It is so labeled, and is located directly under the long white box on the left side of the page. Under the words "Blog Archive" are listed all the individual posts by title, including the post you are currently reading. Click on the title of the post and it brings the post up with a comment box at the end.



Friday, April 29, 2011

travels


I scooted to Clarendon and back. It really wasn't prohibitively far, BUT it requires riding down a narrow, crumbling, broken sidewalk that often runs at 45 degree (please, someone - where is that little "degree" symbol located on my keyboard??) angles to the street, which is mere inches from my elbow and upon which cars are whizzing past at 40 MPH. Oh - and then one hits a section where a construction fence is erected along the inside edge of the sidewalk. And then there are the curb cuts that, instead of letting one directly onto the street, throw one instead into the path of moving traffic. And lets not forget my favorite, the curb cut on one side of the intersection which allows one to get into the middle of the road, only to find out that there is no corresponding curb cut on the other side of the street.

I don't think I drink enough.

I see wheelchairs and scooters all over anymore. I wonder if they're really so much more prevalent than they used to be, or if it is just that there are more in this Arlington than elsewhere. I think they are more prevalent, probably because people aren't as willing anymore to sit at home in the parlor or on the front porch. Due to modern scooters and wheelchairs, people don't have to sit home anymore.

Hmmmm... So maybe the general population is tired of seeing us all over the place all the time? Maybe things like the condition of the sidewalk between Ballston and Clarendon are attempts at reducing our number?

I have good reason to be cynical and frustrated today. (Ron, if you are reading his, you may want to tune your teeny tiny violin,) (If you aren't reading this, then never mind!) I took Metro Access to Falls Church today to go to my doctor's office and get my weekly Avonex shot. Major construction was taking place on the sidewalk leading into the doctor's office, and there was therefore NO CURB CUT! Luckily, the MetroAccess driver was sweet and brought me home.

No comments:

Post a Comment