How to Comment

If you don't see a comment box at the bottom of the page, look at the "Blog Archive". It is so labeled, and is located directly under the long white box on the left side of the page. Under the words "Blog Archive" are listed all the individual posts by title, including the post you are currently reading. Click on the title of the post and it brings the post up with a comment box at the end.



Monday, November 8, 2010

Hair


I saw Hair, and I loved it. (No, the above picture does not have anything to do with "Hair", but I was in a psychedelic mood. Thought I'd revel in some mushroom dreams for awhile.) I sprang some extra bucks to sit in the orchestra. and I'm so glad I did, because all through the show, the hippies meandered through the audience, striking poses and dancing and protesting and passing out leaflets and flowers. It was fun.

What must it have been like to see it back in 1967, when, rather than seeing a historical recreation of a traumatic time, you were actually living in that time? I remember Mom and Dad were in NYC for some kind of Methodist preacher class that year, and got to go see "Hair" in its original first run on Broadway. They went with Al and Lois Stables.

Al Stables was a Methodist preacher, and our family hung out with the Stables family all throughout my childhood. We took many vacations together. I don't remember us ever living in the same town as the Stables, though. They had three boys who were roughly the same ages as us. I'll tell you more about the Stables family in another post. One finds many strange characters among Methodist clergy families!

Back to mushrooms - they were groovy. About 20 years ago, some comrades and I sucked on psycadelic 'shrooms and watched MTV all weekend. Actually, that was back when MTV was new, so maybe it was 30 years ago? Anyway, we'd been inside all weekend, so we decided to take a "field trip". There was an empty field next door, so we all went and sat in it for about 15 minutes and felt we'd accomplished something.

Oh yes, I remember it well.......

Back to Hair - It was groovy.

Lyrics | Hair Cast - Where Do I Go lyrics

No comments:

Post a Comment