How to Comment

If you don't see a comment box at the bottom of the page, look at the "Blog Archive". It is so labeled, and is located directly under the long white box on the left side of the page. Under the words "Blog Archive" are listed all the individual posts by title, including the post you are currently reading. Click on the title of the post and it brings the post up with a comment box at the end.



Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Coffeehouse at the End of the Universe

The people at my church are having a coffeehouse called "Coffeehouse at the End of the Universe" on Friday night. The idea is based on the old beatnik coffeehouses of the 50's, and basically it is just a chance for people to get together and hang out and play their musical insturments and stuff. I said I'd write and read some beatnik poetry. Guess I'd better get on it! This is what I sent to the emcee when he asked us to send some biographical information:

I’ve written nonsense verse all my life. Actually, published verse framed my public school career. In first grade, I wrote the verse “My Family” which was published in some children’s magazine. As a high school senior, I wrote the satirical “The Ballad of Poor Harley Miles”, Harley Miles being the assistant principal, which was published in my high school newspaper. What I have to say about this dubious talent is:

Some folks may earn money when
They’ve got some extra time.
They build financial fortunes from
Their nickels and their dimes.

Some folks may write symphonies
With melodies sublime.
I would love to do those things,
But can’t, so I just rhyme.

No comments:

Post a Comment