How to Comment

If you don't see a comment box at the bottom of the page, look at the "Blog Archive". It is so labeled, and is located directly under the long white box on the left side of the page. Under the words "Blog Archive" are listed all the individual posts by title, including the post you are currently reading. Click on the title of the post and it brings the post up with a comment box at the end.



Saturday, January 8, 2011

Heartbreaking family history

Dad's 82nd birthday happened the other day, He says he wants no gifts, so, instead, I've been working on the family history which I promised to do years ado. Because of this, I have been reminded of a really tragically homophobic incident in my family history.

My granny's sister, Laura, was apparently a lesbian, I infer this because she never married, and she had a devoted female companion all her life. The companion's name was Sadie. Apparently they had lots of fun times together all through the years that Dad was growing up. There are, or were, many photos of Laura and Sadie wearing men's suits and engaging in comical activities.

At this point I sort of lose track of what happened. I'm going to try to find out when I go "home" tomorrow afternoon. What I do know is that Granny moved in with us, and then off to live with Aunt Judy.

Then, years later, she moved in with Aunt Laura, and Sadie was suddenly was no longer part of the picture. I seem to remember stories of Sadie being sent away to some kind of aged paupers' home.

I won't indulge in a lot of the commentary I'm tempted to make at this point, because it would be nothing but hurtful speculation.

I do know for a fact, though, that Granny went through Laura's house after moving in and cut Sadie's face out of every single photo of Sadie with Laura.

The odd thing is that I have a "family history" list that Granny put together when she was wotking on the family history. On it she lists each family member. She has Sadie listed.

No comments:

Post a Comment