How to Comment

If you don't see a comment box at the bottom of the page, look at the "Blog Archive". It is so labeled, and is located directly under the long white box on the left side of the page. Under the words "Blog Archive" are listed all the individual posts by title, including the post you are currently reading. Click on the title of the post and it brings the post up with a comment box at the end.



Friday, January 21, 2011

Mi familia

My Uncle Kenny passed away Monday. I never had occasion to get to know him very well, and I almost never saw him, but yet I really miss him. He was a part of my family, and I loved him, and now he is gone. I remember him being sweet to me when I was a kid.

Mom had 8 brothers and sisters. Mom is the oldest, then Luther, Wilma, Raymond, Deloris, Kenny, Patricia, Brenda, and Eddie. Mom says that when she came home for Christmas after her first semester at college, she was furious to find that Mamaw hadn't done any shopping for presents for the little ones, and she hadn't decorated the house. Mom did it herself, cursing all the while because her Mom hadn't done it. On Jan. 2nd, Papaw woke Mom up in the morning by saying, "Come look what your Mommy has done", and Mom went in to find Mamaw in bed with a new baby, my uncle Eddie. Nobody, Mom included, had any idea Mamaw was pregnant. Mom felt totally rotten for having been angry.

Growing up, I usually only saw the extended family every Thanksgiving, Although I sometimes saw family members at various times throughout the year, it was very rare to get the chance to be with Kenny. My main memory of visiting him was when his now grown kids were tots and he lived with his family in a little house on my Papaw's farm.

I know it would be very important to Mom if she were able to get to the funeral, but I know that can't happen. Ain't it wonderful to deal with age and disability?

So! Changing the subject....

...I had Spanish class in Clarendon last night. Which is, I guess, the whole point of Spanish class - to change the subject of my life away from disability and living among the aged.

It was fun, I really need to actually study. Otherwise, it is kind of pointless, isn't it?

I have a unique opportunity here because I have native Spanish speakers here to practice with. I managed to tell one woman this morning that "Mi dormitorio no es limpa," which, I think, means "My room isn't clean." Upon hearing this, however, she seemed quite jolly, so lord knows what I said. With a word like "limpa", I'm kinda scared to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment