How to Comment

If you don't see a comment box at the bottom of the page, look at the "Blog Archive". It is so labeled, and is located directly under the long white box on the left side of the page. Under the words "Blog Archive" are listed all the individual posts by title, including the post you are currently reading. Click on the title of the post and it brings the post up with a comment box at the end.



Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Geriatric Set

I've been patient. I've been kind. I've been understanding. In my opinion, I've been angelic.
For example:

Sometimes I am going down the hall in my electric wheelchair and a heedless ancient person chooses to meander into the hallway right in front of me. I just stop until the senior clears the hall.

Sometimes I wait forever for the elevator to arrive, and, when it does, the door opens to reveal a bunch of dazed elders aboard. They then stare at me in total confusion before beginning to shuffle about. Alas, the elevator door shuts and they all are transported to some unintended location. I just sigh and push the button again.

Sometimes I put down something inexpensive and an old coot (whoops -"senior citizen") picks it up and stares at me defiantly while clutching it to his chest, I just leave and let him have the thing.

These things just go with the territory, I guess. Let's all pray that my patience and sanity hold out. Especially patience.

Because sometimes I feel like slapping them.

For example, today a resident scooted up to me on her wheelchair, handed me a brochure, and said, "Here - read this. I think you'll get a lot out of it!", Then she scooted away. Upon looking at the brochure, I saw it was entitled, "Living with Dementia".

It's a good thing she has a fast wheelchair.

By the way, they have a cart here in the entry hallway which has a sign on it that reads "Dementia Library", I wonder if they ever get any of their books back?

No comments:

Post a Comment