How to Comment

If you don't see a comment box at the bottom of the page, look at the "Blog Archive". It is so labeled, and is located directly under the long white box on the left side of the page. Under the words "Blog Archive" are listed all the individual posts by title, including the post you are currently reading. Click on the title of the post and it brings the post up with a comment box at the end.



Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Gertrude Stein


I went to the National Portrait Gallery today to see the Gertrude Stein exhibit. I dunno... I kinda don't see the point of a museum exhibit about a writer. It seems like the definitave word bout an author stands in the work the author shares.

Probably the assumption behind such an exhibit is that the atttendee is already quite familiar with the author's written work. Like, I can see attending a Mark Twain exhibit. But, in my case, this was sort of my introduction to Gertrude Stein, so I just didn't get it. I see from the Portrait Gallery web page that there is a symposium about Stein all day on Friday. Maybe I'll read more of her work by then and decide to go.

A FRIGHTFUL RELEASE

by: Gertrude Stein (1874-1946)

BAG which was left and not only taken but turned away was not found. The place was shown to be very like the last time. A piece was not exchanged, not a bit of it, a piece was left over. The rest was mismanaged.

"A Frightful Release" is reprinted from Tender Buttons: Objects Food Rooms. Gertrude Stein. New York: Claire Marie, 1914.


One quotation from her they were selling on all kinds of paraphanelia in the gift shop is "There is no there there". I think I'm going to find out that I like her!

No comments:

Post a Comment