How to Comment

If you don't see a comment box at the bottom of the page, look at the "Blog Archive". It is so labeled, and is located directly under the long white box on the left side of the page. Under the words "Blog Archive" are listed all the individual posts by title, including the post you are currently reading. Click on the title of the post and it brings the post up with a comment box at the end.



Sunday, May 30, 2010

New Season

So it's Memorial Day weekend... My situation this year is so different from what it's ever been before that I have no idea what to expect or how to plan or how to have fun.... But HEY! I've got my shorts on for the first time this year, and they really feel great. And I've figured out a way to exercize some using the grab bars in the bathroom! I really think what I need to do to make this a good summer is to make small life improvements every day. Or at least to do something fun every day.

Things were sure different when I was younger. (I didn't say better, I said different!) When we were in our early 30's, my brother, sister, Lloyd and I traveled down to Cape Hatteras, North Carolina . We stayed at the Burrus Motor Court year after year. What "Hatteras Area Information" has to say about it is, "Oldest and cheapest of the bunch, but get what you pay for. Mr. Burris doesn't always answer, keep trying."

Although, actually, we were quite happy there. We didn't want much, other than a place to get shit-faced and to be left alone. They had a wrap around porch that we sat on for hours on end and amused each other. (Although it didn't take much to keep us amused. My brother, for example, once entertained us for the entire evening by burping "The Star Spangled Banner.")

They had a fairly good size unguarded swimming pool that was kept in various s stages of murkiness. Sometimes it was crystal clear, but on one occasion a maid said, "I can't believe you're going in that pool. I won't let my kids anwhere near that pool!"

We always found it refreshing, though. Ed usually went in first thing every morning for a "wake-up swim", and we always went in when we got home from the beach. One year Sue brought a huge inflateale toy shaped like a whale. That was the "whale boat year". Also, by tradition we had to play "JFK and the PT boat survivors". One of us would be JFK. The PT boat survivors would languish about the pool moaning and haphazardly hanging off inflatable rafts and JFK would swim manfully around the pool and grab the raft in his teeth and pull it to safety. Mind you, we were in our 30's!

I'm running out of time, so I'll share some pictures and tell you more in the next post!

That 2 story building is the Burrus.


Pool


whale boat

1 comment:

  1. Boy, those were some FUN times. I remember The Star Spangled Banner, and sitting on the beach at night pretending to be watching for the Briley brothers!.
    And don't forget the swarms of mosquitos around the pool, the crabs next door, and the great little shop at the marina across the street!

    ReplyDelete