How to Comment

If you don't see a comment box at the bottom of the page, look at the "Blog Archive". It is so labeled, and is located directly under the long white box on the left side of the page. Under the words "Blog Archive" are listed all the individual posts by title, including the post you are currently reading. Click on the title of the post and it brings the post up with a comment box at the end.



Friday, August 6, 2010

Beatles

I remember being on the side porch of the house in Roanoke, playing with my brother, when Mom and Dad, excited, called us inside to see something on TV. It was this bunch of guys in a band. Everyone was talking about them, they said, and they played silly music and had real long hair. We all watched in rapt attention as the Beatles played their gig on Ed Sullivan. I remember Mom and Dad laughing at how Ringo didn't sing, but just played drums. Isn't it amazing how the memory of that event stuck with me my whole life? It's almost like I knew I was witnessing history being made.

It was not long after that when we moved to the larger house in Roanoke. Dad had told the church they had to get a new parsonage because that one wasn't big enough to raise children in. It was at that point that I realized the downside of having a same sex sibling - I had to share a room with Sue, and Ed had his own room. The little jerk.

It was a pretty cool house, though, For one thing, it was right up the hill from my school. I could walk every day, and I loved that, because walking meant freedom.

One time, in the snow, Mom slipped getting out of the car and slid all the way down that, huge steep hill. She landed in some neighbor's yard. We kids laughed and laughed to see her go sliding past like that, but we got into all kinds of trouble with dad!

Gotta go. Tomorrow - baby chicks!






























d

No comments:

Post a Comment