How to Comment

If you don't see a comment box at the bottom of the page, look at the "Blog Archive". It is so labeled, and is located directly under the long white box on the left side of the page. Under the words "Blog Archive" are listed all the individual posts by title, including the post you are currently reading. Click on the title of the post and it brings the post up with a comment box at the end.



Friday, August 20, 2010

Discussion Leader

Guess what! I am supposed to lead the Sunday School class discussion on Sunday. The last time I was actively involved in Sunday School was when I taught the Junior High class when I was in college, and I only did that because incredibly handsome Cliff (his real name) was the co-teacher.

I guess that means I need to read the relevant chapter of the book that the class is reading!

Actually, I did start reading some of the chapter, and I don't like it. We are reading "God is Not One" by Stephen R. Prothero. The premise off the book is that one cannot practice just any of the 8 major religions and say. "What does it matter which religion I use? They all worship God." because they are all fundamentally different and don't worship the same god. We are reading the chapter on Buddhism, and I was asked to lead the discussion because I once told them that I'd "sort of" majored in Buddhism in college.

The reason that I "sort of" majored in Buddhism in college is that my real major was in drama. That got Dad ballistic, though. He kept shouting, "What kind of major is drama? What kind of class is 'Voice and Diction'? What kind of a job do you get with a drama major?!!" So, since he was a preacher, I double majored in religion. That was a useless gesture, because that major isn't employable, either.

I'll tell you more about the book later.

No comments:

Post a Comment