How to Comment

If you don't see a comment box at the bottom of the page, look at the "Blog Archive". It is so labeled, and is located directly under the long white box on the left side of the page. Under the words "Blog Archive" are listed all the individual posts by title, including the post you are currently reading. Click on the title of the post and it brings the post up with a comment box at the end.



Friday, June 11, 2010

good money after bad

I'm planning to splurge on a selfish indulgence. Please let me explain before you get all bent out of shape.

It is totally wrong of Sunrise to charge so much extra money for this indulgence. Were Sunrise actually to be an assisted living facility, this would be part of the package. But Sunrise's service is far from assisted living. They don't want to help anyone make an actual life for his or her self. That is way too much work. Instead, this place is a warehouse for damaged goods. The idea is to keep residents (inmates?) as quiet and compliant as possible until they die.

For my $6000/month here, I get 2 showers/week. I get them on Wednesday and Saturday nights. It has been over 100 degrees every day this week. On both Monday and Tuesday night I woke up in the middle of the night and just lay in bed feeling filthy, which is a rotten way to feel if you can't do anything about it! I just kept thinking "Wednesday will soon be here!" Thursday morning I'm supposed to go to church and do my volunteer work, so I'm thinking how glad I am that comes after my Wednesday night shower.

So Wednesday evening at about 6:30 PM two caretakers came and told me that I couldn't have a shower that evening becausee they'd painted part of of the bathroom during the day. They didn't know when or if the bath would be open the next day.

At first I just couldn't accept it and argued and fought. Then I started to believe it was really true. I howled and wailed. I cried for 2 days. I really couldn't help it, not only because of the shower, but also because I was realizing anew that I'm not in control of any part of my life anymore.

I went to complain to the director. I told her I want 3 showers/week. at least in the summer. She said OK, but it will cost $600 more a month. I told her to go ahead and do it. What do y'all think?

No comments:

Post a Comment