How to Comment

If you don't see a comment box at the bottom of the page, look at the "Blog Archive". It is so labeled, and is located directly under the long white box on the left side of the page. Under the words "Blog Archive" are listed all the individual posts by title, including the post you are currently reading. Click on the title of the post and it brings the post up with a comment box at the end.



Monday, June 7, 2010

Picnic

I had a great time yesterday evening. Susan Craft invited me over for dinner, and she cooked steaks out on the grill. Her wonderful 13 year old son Alex was there, as was Alex's friend Angel, as was Susan's signifigant other.

Susan is one of my oldest friends (actually, one of the friends I've known the longest, not the one that is the most elderly. I actually think she is quite young, meaning "the same age as me!") We first met in 1977, when she became one of my roommates in what shall forever be known as "the apartment from Hell". We were 19 years old and 2nd year in college, and we've been close friends, on and off, ever since.

Isn't it weird to think that we could bond together in friendship so many years ago and live lives that took totally different paths and still be so close that I can anticipate what she's going to do in most situations?

We graduated from Virginia in the class of '79. The only three people I know from that class are Katie Couric, who is a respected newscaster, Susan, who is a stoner, me, a ne'er-do-well individualist, and Barbara Fielding, a hard working wife, mother, and church lady.

I didn't know any of them in school but Susan. I know about Barbara because a tenor said in choir one night, "My wife was in Katie Couric's college graduating class." and I said. "WOW. So was I!"

I used to resent Katie Couric. I said, "Why does she get the great job and get to be so famous? I have the same credentials she does!" Then I read her resume in a magazine and found out that she worked real hard in college. She was in tons of organizations, and even worked on the Cavalier Daily. She might even have lived on the Lawn.

I, on the other hand fully renjoyed such tradions as Easters Weekend And so what if I didn't live on the lawn?
I got to live in the apartment from hell!

No comments:

Post a Comment