How to Comment

If you don't see a comment box at the bottom of the page, look at the "Blog Archive". It is so labeled, and is located directly under the long white box on the left side of the page. Under the words "Blog Archive" are listed all the individual posts by title, including the post you are currently reading. Click on the title of the post and it brings the post up with a comment box at the end.



Friday, June 18, 2010

Their Eyes Were Watching God

I didn't have anything planned to do today, so I went to the library. I really need to start reading more. Until I got in college, I used to read for pleasure all the time. What I'm tempted to say is that I quit reading much for pleasure when I had to start reading so much for school, but I think the actual truth is that I quit reading much when I started getting drunk or stoned all the time. Now I haven't been drunk in several years, so I ought to start reading again. Currently I'm reading "Their Eyes Were Watching God" by Zora Neale Hurston. So far it tells the story of a black woman the 1930's. The foreword says it has been criticized by black male critics for not being authentic or bitter enough. Susan Craft gave it to me to read, though, and she loves it, and she has a black son and she's always had black lovers. (Except for her late husband, Rudolfo Hernandez, who was Hispanic and who was incredibly smart and wonderful.) Anyway, I'll let you know about the book as I go along.

No comments:

Post a Comment