How to Comment

If you don't see a comment box at the bottom of the page, look at the "Blog Archive". It is so labeled, and is located directly under the long white box on the left side of the page. Under the words "Blog Archive" are listed all the individual posts by title, including the post you are currently reading. Click on the title of the post and it brings the post up with a comment box at the end.



Thursday, October 28, 2010

excitement

They are having a big "virtual dementia" conference here today. I guess they are probably learning to deal with people like me!

That's funny, but it's also indicative of why this place is intolerable - the staff treats every resident as if he/she is incapable of having a rational thought. On a certain level, one starts to believe it must be true. After all, it is what everyone else thinks! So I run just as fast as I can.

Today I folded stuff at church. Tomorrow I'm in Alexandria again, because I got all the way to Alexandria Tuesday, and then they called and cancelled class and rescheduled for tomorrow. This is actually OK by me.

I have a funny story for you. Sunrise has a wee, tiny circular brick drive out at the front entrance that exits onto Broad Street. On Tuesday, the Metro Access bus was waiting for me at the top of the short driveway. A bread delivery truck was there, also. I got on the bus. There was a work crew in the middle of this tiny brick driveway. They were tearing out and replacing bricks. As my van sits there, two more cars pull in from the street. They idle as they try to figure out where to park. Then, lo and behold, two huge firetrucks scream up with sirens blaring. They pull in the driveway entrance. My pal Bill, an older guy in a wheelchair, comes out to see what all the excitement is about. He sits right in the middle of the circular part of the drive. So, to sum up, we have a Metro Access van, a bread delivery truck, two passenger cars trying to park, a crew tearing up the pavement, two fire trucks, a guy in a wheelchair...

...and a woman runs up from the back parking lot screaming, "Its an emergency! I have to get out!! I have to get out!!"

Apparently there was no fire or emergency requiring firemen (imagine if they'd tried to fit in an ambulance!), so the firemen managed to get everyone out! Bill stayed until the last minute! I bet he felt he'd had great morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment