How to Comment

If you don't see a comment box at the bottom of the page, look at the "Blog Archive". It is so labeled, and is located directly under the long white box on the left side of the page. Under the words "Blog Archive" are listed all the individual posts by title, including the post you are currently reading. Click on the title of the post and it brings the post up with a comment box at the end.



Saturday, October 23, 2010

She blinded me with science

The weather here in DC was wonderful today (Saturday, 10/23)- cool in the morning, but warm and sunny all afternoon. Luckily, I'd planned something wonderful to do in the nice weather. I went down to the Mall, where they were holding the US Science and Engineering Festival. It was like a HUGE science fair with hundreds (literally) of white tents, each of which held a display demonstrating some different type of scientific work or discovery.

I, of course, know nothing of science. I had Mrs. Mahoney for chemistry in the 11th grade, and that was as advanced as my scientific education ever got. I have never even used a Bunsen burner. Mrs. Mahoney was quite elderly, and dyed her hair bright red. We kids swore that she must have mixed up the dye herself in the chemistry lab. I once saw her (really!)in the grocery store saying "wheeee!" as she ran down the store aisle pushing her grocery cart. She then jumped up on the rack that was on the bottom of the cart and rode the cart as it whizzed down the aisle.

So I don't know a whole lot of science.

Lloyd would have loved this, though. He is a pharmacist and thinks scientifically. He can also do Texas Line Dancing. My Aunt Patricia would have loved this, also. She is a college level science professor. She also makes beautiful Appalachian ceramics. (Which she sells, if you are interested!)

I generally just tooled around in my wheelchair and enjoyed being out on the Mall on such a pretty day, There was only one fairly minor disaster. I went over a metal thing that covered electrical wires across the road and got stuck in the street, but two passerbys saved me.

There were some really cool looking displays. NASA had a lunar rover and a spacesuit.

The another display that interested me was the one from the people that make the Rubik's cube. I got Lloyd a brochure about how to solve it, although I bet he can do it without a brochure! I looked at the brochure, but got no further than step 1, which was "get to know your cube"!

No comments:

Post a Comment