How to Comment

If you don't see a comment box at the bottom of the page, look at the "Blog Archive". It is so labeled, and is located directly under the long white box on the left side of the page. Under the words "Blog Archive" are listed all the individual posts by title, including the post you are currently reading. Click on the title of the post and it brings the post up with a comment box at the end.



Sunday, July 18, 2010

Facebook

In my post Another High school's Friends, I was writing about High School friends who had emailed me from Facebook. I worked one summer in 1975 for the father of one of them, Colleen O'Brien. He was a professor of medicine at UVa . His work all had to do with programming on this big mainframe computer that was so large that it filled an entire room. I guess that was before PCs had even been invented yet. The way I assume I got the job working for him is that I needed a summer job, and Colleen asked Dr. O'Brien if he might could hire me, and he asked if I was smart, and silly Colleen said "sure", and so he hired me. He unfortunately regretted it for the rest of the summer. As probably anyone reading this blog knows, I know a lot of humanities type stuff, but math and technology (or, in other words, anything at which a person can actually make money) baffle me. I spent the summer retyping Dr. O'Brien's address book and making him cups of tea. For some reason, he didn't rehire me the next summer.

Think what a revolution in computers has taken place in the 35 years since. There were 64 years between the 1st manned flight and the moon landing. I'd say this was comparable, wouldn't you? Wonder what the next 30 years will bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment