How to Comment

If you don't see a comment box at the bottom of the page, look at the "Blog Archive". It is so labeled, and is located directly under the long white box on the left side of the page. Under the words "Blog Archive" are listed all the individual posts by title, including the post you are currently reading. Click on the title of the post and it brings the post up with a comment box at the end.



Sunday, July 25, 2010

Lots of cats

How does it feel
How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone...

Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan


Man, what a poet.

So, back to Harrisonburg.

Buzzita worked to Roses in Harrisonburg as the loading dock manager. She actually loved her job. She worked independently and got to organize the warehouse and boss around the crew and flirt with the truck drivers. At least that's the way I always perceived it.

I, on the other hand, hated my job, I was, after all. a University graduate working at Roses in Harrisonburg for next to minimum wage. It was my own fault... I think I'll just have to let it go at that. It happened.

Anyway, I was "advertising manager, which was a job a the manager sort of made up. because I had an administrative assistant job offer from Bridgewater College, at the same pay, and he wanted to keep me on as a cashier. The cashier cupervisor would call me on the intercom to cashier if they got busy at the front. (Which I hated!)

The cool parts about being advertising manager were:
1. I got a large shared office in which I could smoke like s chimney.
2. My job was fun and creative. The manager gave me a list of stuff he was putting on sale and the prices. I took a large piece of "newspaper layout paper" and pasted the ad together using little pictures I'd accumulated of the various products. Then I had a large piece of transparent tracing paper on which I would write in the prices and copy I wanted the newspaper to print up and stick on the layout paper in the various spaces. Isn't that a kind of cool job? I bet they don't do it like that anymore!
3. After the newspaper had the page laid out. I got to go down to their office and check it before they printed it.

Buzzita and I got to be best of buddies, and sort of "partners in crime" through all this. I spent every weekend at her house because we could party there and I lived with Mom and Dad. Here ia a picture of Buzzie:

Here is George, her husband:


Juanita had 9 indoor cats in a very small house. Here is a picture of my brother covered by cats after he slept over one New Year's Eve.



Here is a picture of my sister covered by cats after she slept over that same New Year's Eve




I think Juanita just kind of collected cats, brcause she never acted like she really liked any of them. I've read about cat hoarders She never abused the cats, though, she just didn't seem to really like them.

1 comment:

  1. I remember trekking up the highway to go visit her with you one time.

    ReplyDelete