How to Comment

If you don't see a comment box at the bottom of the page, look at the "Blog Archive". It is so labeled, and is located directly under the long white box on the left side of the page. Under the words "Blog Archive" are listed all the individual posts by title, including the post you are currently reading. Click on the title of the post and it brings the post up with a comment box at the end.



Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Side by Side

In my constant quest to be anywhere but here, I went to the Phillips and saw their show Side by Side. The pictures are so beautiful that I wonder why I don't just spend all day, every day, in one of the downtown museums. (Except the Hirshorn. I really don't understand modern art, and I'm entirely too lazy and bored to spend the time and energy required to figure it out.

Anyway, the point of this collection is to bring together paintings from different schools and periods which were all using the same works of art or artists as their inspiration. I think I may have explained this quite poorly, but it was fascinating, My favorite was the moonlight series.
Arthur G. Dove (American, 1880-1946). Me and the Moon, 1937. Wax emulsion on canvas

George Inness, Moonlight, 1893

Joseph Wright, Dovedale by Moonlight, 1785
This is my personal favorite.

It's also just fun to be down in Dupont Circle. I drove around and looked in shops and stuff and ate a sub and then, because it was a great day weather-wise, I sat in Dupont and read my Kindle.

The Phillips is currently undergoing renovation, so half the permanent collection isn't open. But maybe, just maybe, it will be more accessible when that half re-opens, If you remember my notes from the last time I went, they really weren't up to par, especially in the "House", and that is the section they are doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment